When You Feel Troubled, Read These 7 Promises from God
I was sitting there on my bed, tethered to the wall – unable to freely move around the house – by an iPhone charger. Hubby and I had finally tucked the kids in for the night when he walked over to me as I was checking email on my phone.
“What are you doing, sitting here by yourself? Come hang out in the living room with me. We can read together.” Eric asked.
“I lost my 10-foot power cord. So, I have to wait here while it charges on this short one. Doing some email. I’ll come down in a bit.” I explained.
“Uh. Honey, don’t you know . . . your phone will charge a lot faster if you don’t use it? You’re draining the energy while it’s trying to recharge.”
This was an ah-ha moment for me – because my phone isn’t the only thing that’s weary and drained.
My soul needs to be recharged with God’s whispers of love.
When my soul is troubled, I need to stop and hear God’s words of love — rather than distracting myself with doing more and ignoring my heart.
Is your soul feeling weary too — even though you’re getting things done and all looks well on the outside?
Even among the daily routine, there is a quiet Voice — God’s whispers of love — that no amount of busyness, weakness, guilt, failure, brokenness, stress, or hurt can erase:
1. I will be your shelter. I will be your home. No matter where your journey takes you, you belong to Me.
“You are my shelter and my shield; I put my hope in Your word.” (Psalm 119:114)
What We Really Need
We live in a world that is good at problem solving. Have a problem, just Google your question and a slew of search results offer you a different approach. Our world rewards productivity and results. We are so thin on time, we become fearful of wasting whatever slivers of time we have.
We forget that for life is a journey to experience God and not a plan to execute for him. We need to remember the most beautiful things in life, that truly sustain and give us meaning, take time to grow and be nurtured.
We were made to be God’s beloved. Renewed. Vibrant.
2. No matter who hurts you with their words, I will heal you. I am your safe place.
“In the shelter of your presence you hide them from all human intrigues; you keep them safe in your dwelling from accusing tongues.” (Psalm 31:20)
3. When your arms are empty of dreams, I will sing you a new song. And it will be yours and Mine.
“He has given me a new song to sing.” (Psalm 40:3)
4. Don’t hide your worries from Me. I will never tire of your worries. Come closer and bring them all to Me. Again and again.
“Do not worry . . . look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap . . . and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?” (Luke 12:22-25)
5. Let go of what holds you and let Me hold you instead. What others don’t want, I want. You are mine.
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are mine.” (Isaiah 41:3)
6. My heart is your home and sure shelter for this journey. Not because life is perfect, but because My love for you is irrevocably perfect.
“I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.” (Jeremiah 31:3)
7. My choice to choose and love you is irrevocable. You are forever in my heart. This I pledge.
“He has set his seal of ownership in us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge, a guarantee of what is to come.” (2 Corinthians 1:22)
Bonnie Gray is the author of Finding Spiritual Whitespace: Awakening Your Soul to Rest. For more encouragement, visit her at FaithBarista.com, where Bonnie serves up shots of faith for the everyday Grind.