It is so easy to feel anxious, worried, overwhelmed, or just out of control in our lives. Many things around us cause us to stress or fear, and everywhere we turn, it seems like more bad news pops up.
How do we live in this world, but not be of it, like Scripture tells us? How do we open ourselves up to love ourselves, our neighbors, our world, and our God well without becoming burdened by all the hurt and the brokenness? How do we continue to seek Christ when everything seems to be crashing down or falling apart?
In my own times of stress or anxiety, I’ve found the Word of God to be the one true place I can find peace. I know that it is only in him that I can remember my true identity and can be restored to new life again.
It’s tempting when fear arises to run to things we think will comfort us, but nothing in the world will be able to bring us the comfort that Christ can. He can feel distant at times, especially when I’m feeling anxiety begin to overwhelm me, but reading the truth of the Bible reminds me that he is always near to the brokenhearted and close to those in need. I’m reminded that he has always been faithful, that he will still be faithful even now, and that he will be faithful in the future, no matter what might arise or come my way.
I’ve chosen 10 verses from throughout both the Old and the New Testaments that I’ve personally found to be comforting in my own anxious moments, and I pray that they are a balm to your soul as you read them. I encourage you to meditate on these verses individually, to pray through their words several times, and to sit with them long enough to truly let the words seep into your soul. Don’t rush through these words, but savor their truth and worship Christ as you read his words of love and comfort.
1. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Ph. 4:7
The Holy Spirit brings peace to our minds that surpasses all of our understanding– we just need to first surrender our fear and our worries to him. Bring your heartache to the Lord in prayer and trust in his goodness and faithfulness.
2. When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. Ps. 56:3
We do not have to put our confidence in our own selves. We can rest assured that Christ is the Solid Rock on which we stand, and that he will never fail us. We can trust him fully, deeply, completely, and wholeheartedly, even when we start to fear.
3. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Is. 41:10
These words are the ultimate comfort when your soul starts to feel weary and anxious — the Lord will be your strength, the Lord will be your help, the Lord will keep you upright and safe.
4. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Tm. 1:7
When fear or anxiety start to creep in, read these words to yourself. Fear is not of God. He instead gives us good gifts — power, love, a clear mind. He desires more for us, and we can accept those good gifts and leave the fear and worry behind through his grace.
5. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Js. 1:9
The Lord is calling us forward into places of freedom, but we must rely on his strength and his love to get us there. Be strong in him. Trust in him. Let him guide you and let him be your peace.
6. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Ps. 34:18
The Lord is not far from you when you are feeling anxious or overwhelmed. He is always near, always present, always loving you. He can handle anything you are carrying– just give it up to him in prayer and worship.
7. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. Co. 3:15
We often are tempted to look to things in the world to give us comfort when we are feeling stressed, but only Jesus can truly satisfy the desires of our hearts. He can bring us peace that is far beyond anything the world could ever offer– just trust him!
8. The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace. Ps. 29:11
The Lord will deliver you from every anxiety, every doubt, every fear, every concern. It may look differently than you expected it would, but God’s plans for our lives are perfect and good. Seek him first!
9. LORD, you establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have done for us. Is. 26:12
When we think of all the qualities and attributes of God, we start to shift our attention away from what is making us worried and the stress starts to fade away. He is our light, he is our salvation, he is our stronghold… the list goes on and on. What other qualities of God can you think on today?
10. It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Ga. 5:1
We are not bound by our fear or our anxiety. In Christ, we can cast off those chains and be set free into a life that is more abundant and rich than anything the world could give us. It is for freedom that we have been set free to live as sons and daughters of our Father the King!
Please support us to reach others by sharing this article